This information has previously been emailed to schools attached to the email confirming your schools booking. As there is usually some time between booking and actually attending, by the time teachers come to review the information in anticipation of their visit it has often gone missing.
Please note that this information is still available to download here.
- Approximately two weeks prior to your visit you will be contacted by a member of our team electronically to gather information regarding your party. This information is vital to the visit and the enjoyment of the pupils and volunteers. Information we will be looking for at this time is in relation to:
- Special needs, which can include emotional, educational as well as health. Ideally we are looking for information that may impact on how the pupils interact with the scenarios and our volunteers, ie ADHD, ADD, behavioural issues, etc.
- If any of your pupils have experienced any real life situations similar to those that we cover in the scenario area, for example, house fire, road accident, internet bullying.
- We will also be looking for information in relation to the pupils reading ability.
- Supporting documents are available to aid your visit including a visual journey and social story. If you think these would be helpful then please download a copy form our website or contact the team and request a copy.
- Each visit lasts 2.5 hours. Four time slots are available and the start time for your visit will be as detailed in the email/letter of confirmation you received.
0930 – 1200 hrs
0945 – 1215 hrs
1230 – 1500 hrs
1245 – 1515 hrs
- It should be noted that in the event of a late arrival we may have to shorten or omit scenarios. This will be discussed with you at the time in order to ensure we can meet as many of your expectations as possible in the time permitted. If you do find you are running late we would ask that you contact us so that we can plan for your arrival.
- On arrival, you will be welcomed to the centre by a member of the team.
- Your party will then be split into small groups by a member of our team. Once all the pupils are in a group, you will be given the opportunity to make changes, for example: to allow for conflicting personalities, or, to spread pupils with reading problems across multiple groups.
- After a quick introduction, pupils will meet their volunteer safety guides and each pupil will be given a name badge to wear. Your party will then be briefed about behaviour and what is expected from them during the visit.
- Your group will then move through to our Scenario Area where the pupils will visit 11 scenarios each lasting 10 minutes.
- Teachers and other support staff are encouraged to observe pupils in the scenarios but we do ask that you don't take part or follow one particular group, unless absolutely necessary. We also ask that you remain in a scenario for the full duration in order to minimise distractions.
- We may ask you to complete an evaluation form as you observe the scenarios.
- Any behavioural issues in the group will be dealt with by our safety guides. Please refrain from getting involved unless the guide specifically asks for your assistance.
- Due to time constraints there are no breaks in the programme, so it is advisable to ensure that the pupils have had something to eat and drink before attending. If you arrive early pupils are more than welcome to have their snack before they start.
- Taking photographs is permitted at the centre. However, taking photos of volunteers is only acceptable if permission has been sought from the volunteer.
Health and Safety
- Ensuring the safety of your group is of prime consideration. A Risk Assessment is conducted annually and a copy of the most recent can be found here.
- First Aid is the responsibility of the school and you must ensure that you have an up to date first aider in your group.
- Any written articles involving The Risk Factory and how it operates must be read and agreed by TRF management before publication.
If you require any more information, please do not hesitate to contact a member of the team on 0131 455 8930 or via email email@example.com.